On Wednesday night, a young girl was sent to the hospital after being struck by a car on Jacksboro Highway. According to KFDX News Channel Three, the incident happened sometime around 8:00 p.m. on the 2200 block of Jacksboro Highway, near the Flying J truck stop. Apparently, two girls were trying to cross the street, when a car struck one of them.
Child Sent to Hospital
The injured child was taken to the hospital for treatment of injuries. Very few details were released about the crash. Thankfully, the little girl’s injuries are not expected to be life threatening, although there’s no word on the extent of injuries involved or her current condition. There is also no information on whether or not the driver was cited.
Pedestrian Safety: Just the Facts
- In 2012, there were 4,743 pedestrian deaths across the U.S.
- In 2011, there were 4,432 pedestrian fatalities.
- On average in 2014, a pedestrian was killed every two hours and injured every seven minutes in a traffic crash.
Everyone is a Pedestrian
Unfortunately, pedestrians are one of the few roadway user groups that continue to see an increase in injury-causing and fatal collisions each year. Pedestrians do not have the same level of safety as passenger vehicle occupants. They’re not wrapped in steal and strapped in with seat belts and air bags. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) is working hard to raise awareness about the dangers pedestrians face on U.S. roadways every day. Their “Everyone is a Pedestrian” campaign offers motorists and pedestrians a variety of tips to keep the roads safe for all users.
Child Pedestrian Facts
- In 2011, nearly one-fifth of the children between the ages of five and nine killed in traffic crashes were pedestrians.
- Children under the age of five accounted for four percent of all injured pedestrians in 2011.
- Children ages 15 and younger accounted for six percent of the pedestrian fatalities in 2011.
- Over one-fifth (21 percent) of all children between the ages of 10 and 15 who were killed in traffic crashes were pedestrians in 2011.
After a Pedestrian Accident
After any kind of pedestrian accident, it’s a good idea to speak with an experienced personal injury lawyer as soon as possible. If somebody you love has been injured in a pedestrian accident, contact the skilled team at the Altman Legal Group at 940-761-4000 for a free case consultation today.