On Wednesday, a woman was killed in a crash involving a semi truck in Gould, Oklahoma. According to KSWO ABC News Channel Seven, the crash happened on U.S. Highway 62 at about noon. The crash, which happened about 25 miles west of Altus, took the life of 62-year-old Mary Springs, of Eldorado, and injured a 47-year-old truck driver named Chris Stewart. He was airlifted to the OU Medical Center in Oklahoma City. Although very few details about this crash have been released, we do know that the trailer of the cattle-hauling semi truck crushed the victim’s car beside the roadway.
Deadly Tractor Trailer Crash on Highway 62
Another semi truck driver was transported to the Harmon County Hospital, but has since been released. There has been no word on the extent of that person’s injuries, but the driver who was airlifted reportedly suffered from internal injuries. At this time, we do not know how this truck crash happened, but the victim’s vehicle was apparently off of the highway when the tractor trailer toppled over and crushed her automobile. Officials with the Oklahoma Highway Patrol (OHP) are likely still investigating the cause of this crash.
Truck Accident Statistics
- 3,964 people were killed in crashes involving large trucks in 2013.
- In 2012, an estimated 104,000 people were injured in crashes involving large trucks.
- In 2013, an estimated 95,000 people were injured in large truck crashes.
- In 2013, 71 percent of people killed in large-truck crashes were occupants of other vehicles.
- 79 percent of the fatal crashes involving large trucks in 2013 occurred on weekdays.
- In 2013, two percent of the large-truck drivers involved in fatal crashes had blood alcohol concentrations (BACs) of .08 g/dL or higher.
Truck Accidents in Texoma
The commercial trucking industry has additional federal rules and regulations to follow, and cases involving semi trucks are often lengthy and complex. It’s possible that state and federal officials will be investigating the tractor trailer crash on Highway 62 for the weeks or months to come. After any kind of semi truck accident, it’s important to speak with a skilled personal injury attorney who has truck accident experience.
The team at the Altman Legal Group sends their deepest condolences to Mary Springs’ family members and friends and wishes a speedy and full recovery to the injured truck driver.