A fatal wreck that happened last week, involving a married couple, is still under investigation. The crash happened near Odell in Willbarger County. According to KFDX News Channel Three, this two-car wreck involved drivers who were actually newlyweds. For currently unknown reasons, their cars collided head on. Sadly, they were both pronounced dead on the scene. The newlyweds were driving in separate vehicles on Country Road 87 North and FM 2397. Apparently, the wreck happened at the crest of a hill. Nicolas Cruz, 31 years old, was in a 1990 Mazda pickup truck and 26-year-old Kristina Munoz was in a 1999 Saturn.
The wreck happened near an egg farm, which they both worked at. Very little information has been released about the cause of this crash, which is still under investigation. Initial reports indicate that roadway layout may have been a factor in this wreck. Tony Fulton, a Trooper with the Department of Public Safety, said that the road was very narrow with no markings where the crash occurred. Investigators are still trying to determine exactly what happened, and whether or not one or both of the drivers could have been driving too close to the center of the road. Munoz is survived by three children.
U.S. Motor Vehicle Crash Facts
- Over 30,000 people are killed in motor vehicle wrecks each year in the U.S.
- Car crashes are the leading killer of children, teens and young adults (ages five to 34).
- In 2005, in addition to the impact on victims’ families and friends, motor vehicle wreck costs totaled $41 billion in medical and work loss costs.
Texas Motor Vehicle Crash Costs
- Crash-related death costs in Texas total $3.5 billion annually.
- $34 million of the $3.5 billion is attributed to medical costs.
- $3.47 billion is attributed to work loss costs.
Texas comes in right behind California ($4.16 billion in crash-related costs) as the state with the second highest crash-related medical and work loss costs. Since these numbers only measure the financial impact of crashes, it’s nearly impossible to imagine or calculate the emotional and personal loss victims’ families and friends go through. If poor-roadway layout was a contributing factor in this crash, hopefully this tragic wreck will shed some light on areas and roads in North Texas that can be made safer for motorists. The team at the Altman Legal Group sends their deepest condolences to the family members and friends of Nicolas Cruz and Kristina Munoz.