Church groups, summer camps, community organizations and other clubs frequently use 15-passenger vans for summer time trips. They’re larger than traditional passenger occupant vehicles, so they can move more people. They’re a popular choice for a variety of reasons, but they’re not without their own set of risks. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) recently issued a press release about the dangers of 15-passenger vans. They’ve also included important things owners and operators can do to minimize risk and increase the safety of their precious cargo.
Rollover Risk, Tires and 15-Passenger Vans
The top safety risk involving 15-passenger vans is rollover crashes. These automobiles have a higher center of gravity than smaller cars. In the event of a blowout, there is a high possibility of rollover, especially at higher speeds. Couple the potential of a rollover with the very real possibility that not all owners and operators check the tires on their 15-passenger vans regularly. This scenario is a recipe for disaster. The NHTSA is urging anybody who drives a 15-passenger van this summer to check the tires, before every trip. In addition to regular maintenance, these vans, which can often sit in parking lots for extended periods of time, need to have their tires checked regularly. Proper tire maintenance can go a long way in improving the safety of passengers and drivers.
NHTSA Recommend 15-Passenger Van Safety Tips
- Buckle up, for every trip, no matter how far.
- If you’re a driver, check for proper inflation and make sure there are no concerning sighs of wear to the tires.
- Don’t overload the van.
- Never drink and drive.
- If you’re an owner, make sure the van is maintained regularly.
- Have the van’s suspension and steering components inspected and replaced on schedule.
- Owners need to make sure vans are equipped with properly sized and load-rated tires.
- Always follow the manufacturer’s instructions for replacing tires, including the spare.
- Owners also need to ensure all drivers are properly licensed and have 15-passenger van operating experience before they get behind the wheel.
After a 15-Passenger Van Accident in Wichita Falls
Most injury-causing and fatal 15-passenger van accidents are completely preventable. If you have been injured or if your child has been injured in a 15-passenger van accident in Texoma, contact the skilled team at the Altman Legal Group at 940-761-4000 for an immediate free case consultation.