Last week, a pedestrian was struck and killed on North Scott Street. The collision happened on the 100 block of North Scott Street around 6:20 p.m. According to KFDX News Channel Three, the pedestrian was struck by a white pickup truck. The Wichita Falls Police Department’s crash unit was on the scene swiftly. KFDX News Channel Three reports that Sergeant John Spragins, with the Wichita Falls Police Department, has released the identity of the deceased, 52-year-old Donald Lee Williams. This incident is likely still under investigation, as very few details have been released.
Just the Facts: Pedestrian Safety
- In 2011, 4,432 pedestrians died in traffic crashes.
- An estimated 69,000 pedestrians were injured in 2011.
- In 2010, 4,302 pedestrians were killed in traffic crashes.
- In 2011, pedestrian fatalities accounted for 14 percent of all motor-vehicle-crash deaths.
- Nearly one-fifth of children between the ages of five and nine killed in traffic crashes were pedestrians in 2011.
Everyone is a Pedestrian
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration’s (NHTSA) “Everyone is a Pedestrian” campaign is aimed at raising awareness about pedestrian safety across the United States. They are urging drivers, parents, caregivers, traffic safety officials, pedestrians and advocates to access their resources to help reduce pedestrian safety risks in their communities. Through a variety of public-safety initiatives, grants and law enforcement programs, the NHTSA hopes to improve pedestrian safety across the country.
Safe Walking Tips for Pedestrians
- Be predictable.
- Use sidewalks and walkways, when available.
- Remain vigilant and alert at all times.
- Use crosswalks and cross streets, when available.
- When crosswalks aren’t available, find well-lit areas to cross safely.
- Make eye contact with drivers, don’t assume they see you.
Pedestrian Safety Tips for Drivers
- Lookout for pedestrians, at all times.
- Exercise additional caution when visibility is poor.
- Slow down and prepare to stop when entering crosswalk areas.
- Always yield to pedestrians, and give them plenty of room to cross roadways safely.
- Always follow the speed limit.
- Never pass vehicles that are stopped at crosswalks.
- Exercise additional caution when backing up in parking lots and driveways, especially where children might be nearby.
If you or pedestrian you love has been injured in a crash, contact an experienced personal injury lawyer as soon as possible. The team at Altman Legal Group sends their deepest condolences to the family members and friends of Donald Lee Williams.