Last week, there was a collision involving a car and a school bus in Wichita Falls. According to KFDX News Channel Three, the incident happened at Wayne Avenue and Midwestern Parkway. Prior to the crash, the bus was leaving Barwise with students on board. Although minor injuries were reported, nobody was transported to the hospital from the scene. Apparently, a car pulled out in front of the bus. The bus t-boned the car and pushed it across the traffic lane.
School Bus Crash on Wayne Avenue and Midwestern Parkway
Although very few details about this school bus collision have been released, we do know that the driver of the car was reportedly okay after the crash. There has been no word on the extent of injuries involved, other than they were initially considered minor on the scene. School buses are designed to safely transport children to and from school, but they’re not totally without risk, and bus drivers and other motorists have to navigate the roadways safely.
School Bus Crash Statistics
- From 2004 to 2013, there were 327 school-age children who died in school-transportation-related crashes.
- 54 of those children were occupants of school transportation vehicles.
- 147 of those children were occupants in other vehicles.
- 116 of those children were pedestrians.
- 9 of those children were cyclists.
- 1 of those children was a non-occupant.
- More than two-thirds of the school-age pedestrians fatally injured in crashes were struck by school buses or vehicles functioning as school buses.
School Bus and Pedestrian Safety
Parents should note that the most dangerous part of riding the school bus is getting on and off of the bus. The “Danger Zone” is the 10-foot bubble that extends all the way around the bus. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) encourages parents to talk to their children about safety in and around school buses.
School Bus Accidents in Wichita Falls
There has been no word on whether or not anybody was cited in the school bus crash at Wayne Avenue and Midwestern Parkway. The cause of the crash could still be under investigation with local law enforcement authorities.
If your child has been injured in or around a school bus in Wichita Falls, Lawton or the surrounding Texoma communities, contact the skilled legal team at the Altman Legal Group at 940-761-4000 for a free case consultation today.