The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) has just published a consumer advisory notice encouraging motorists to take precautions before heading out for summer road trips. In addition to calling on motorists to make sure their cars are fully serviced and ready to hit the road, the NHTSA is also encouraging drivers to make safe choices on the road.
Routine Maintenance For Safe Driving
Making sure your car is properly maintained is an important part of road trip preparedness. The last thing you need is to be stranded on the side of the road in the summer heat. Depending upon your car’s maintenance history, it could be time for a full tune up, oil change and battery check. Don’t forget about the tires either. It might be a good idea to have them rotated before the trip, and always make sure they’re properly inflated.
Safe Road Trip Driving
In addition to routine maintenance issues, safe driving habits are also essential for a safe and happy summer road trip. It’s important to note that distracted and impaired driving puts everybody on the road at risk, and while you certainly have control over your own driving habits, other drivers may not be as responsible. Buckling up, for every trip, no matter how far you’re going, will be the single most effective way to protect yourself in the event of an accident. Listed below are the NHTSA’s Summer Road Trip Safety Tips.
NHTSA Summer Safety Tips
- Make sure your car is up-to-date on regular maintenance, including tires.
- Never drink and drive. Even one drink can be one drink too many.
- Buckle seat belts for every trip, no matter how far you’re driving.
- Protect child passengers by always making sure they are secured in age and size-appropriate safety seats.
- Avoid distractions by putting the phones down and focusing on the road.
- Observe “Move Over” laws to help keep stranded motorists and first responders safe.
If You’re Injured in an Car Accident
With school letting out and weather hopefully turning around shortly, Texoma families will likely be taking to the road for fun family vacations. Even with the pre-trip maintenance and safe driving habits, it’s still possible to get injured in a car accident. If you or a loved one has been injured in a car accident, contact the skilled team at the Altman Legal Group at 940-761-4000 for a free consultation today.