The Super Bowl is the nation’s most watched sporting event of the year. Whether you’re turning out for your favorite team or just watching for the commercials, make sure you have a game plan to get home safely. Planning for a sober ride home ahead of time is the best way to ensure you have a hassle-free and safe ride home after the big game. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) is asking football fans an important question this year; are you drinking or are you driving?
Just The Facts
- During the 2014 football season, there were 10,676 alcohol-related traffic crashes in the State of Texas.
- Of those crashes, there were 492 fatalities.
- 9,967 people were killed in alcohol-impaired crashes across the nation in 2014.
- 40 percent of those fatalities occurred during weekends.
Fans Don’t Let Fans Drive Drunk
Drunk driving crashes are one-hundred-percent preventable, and fans don’t let fans drive drunk. Whether you’re hosting a big Super Bowl party or you’re just attending one, be on the lookout for partygoers who aren’t safe to drive. If fellow football fans have been drinking, they don’t need to be driving. It’s that simple. The NHTSA also wants to remind motorists that buzzed driving is drunk driving. Even one drink can be one drink too many, so play it safe and get a sober ride home if you’ve been drinking.
TxDOT’s Game Plan Tips
- Designate a driver before the game.
- Call a Taxi or use a ridesharing app on your phone.
- Utilize public transportation.
- Ask a sober friend or family member for a ride home.
- Spend the night.
Make a Game Plan
The Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT) is also urging football fans to plan for safe rides home after the big game. Ensure you get home safely this Super Bowl Sunday by making a game plan. Don’t wait until the end of the night to try to find a safe riding home. Designate a driver, call a cab or ask a friend to help you find a ride home. It could save a life.
If you have been injured or if you have lost a loved one in an accident involving a drunk driver, contact an experienced personal injury attorney as soon as possible about your case. The team at the Altman Legal Group wishes everybody a Safe and Happy Super Bowl Sunday.