Recently, two people were critically injured in a house fire in Wichita Falls. According to KFDX News Channel Three, the incident happened on the 100 block of north Glencoe Street just before 5:00 a.m. The elderly couple was taken to the burn unit at Parkland Hospital in Dallas for treatment. As of Thursday, December 3, 2015, they were listed in critical condition. Although the fire is likely still under investigation, initial reports indicate that the elderly couple was using a stove for warmth.
Winter Heating Injury Statistics
- In 2011, heating equipment was involved in an estimated 53,600 reported U.S. home structure fires.
- Those fires resulted in 400 deaths and 1,520 injuries.
- Those fires also caused an estimated $893 million in direct property damage.
- Heating equipment structure fires accounted for 14 percent of all reported home fires.
- From 2007 to 2011, space heaters accounted for one-third of home-heating fires and four out of five home-heating deaths.
- During that time frame, 50 percent of all home-heating fires occurred in December, January and February.
Space Heater Safety
With temperatures beginning to dip, many families in Wichita Falls and the surrounding Texoma communities will be turning to space heaters and other types of heating equipment to stay warm. The National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) has tips for families who want to utilize their space heaters safely this season. It’s important to always follow the manufacturer’s instructions and keep anything that can burn at least three-feet away from your heating devices. The NFPA also recommends having a three-foot “kid-free zone” around space heaters. Always turn portable heaters off before leaving a room or going to bed.
House Fires in Wichita Falls
House fires can be devastating for families. In addition to property damage or a total loss of your home and belongings, burn injuries and smoke inhalation are also common with residential fires. If you think a faulty or defective space heater caused your house fire, you need to speak with a personal injury lawyer about your case. Defective space heaters, faulty wiring, unsafe machines and exposed wires can all cause house fires, so in-depth investigations are always essential.
At this time, there’s no word on the elderly couple’s current conditions or the extent of their injuries. The whole team at the Altman Legal Group wishes them full and swift recoveries from their injuries.